Other Regiments with links to
THE GLORIOUS REVOLUTION and William of Orange
Raising a Williamite Regiment
The Kings Own Royal Border Regiment maintains the link to William by incorporating the Lion of England in their cap badge.
The 4th Regiment of Foot were the first regiment to rally to William's cause and were rewarded by being given the Lion of England as their cap badge.
Wolseley's Inniskilling Horse - Fought at Enniskillen, the Boyne, Aughrim and Flanders. Disbanded in 1697.
Cunnynham's Inniskilling Dragoons - Gazetted as the 6th Inniskilling Dragoons. They later became the 5th Inniskilling Dragoons. Fought at Enniskillen, the Boyne and Aughrim.
Tiffin's Inniskilling Regiment of Foot - Gazetted as 27th Foot. They later became the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers and later became the Royal Irish Rangers. Fought at Enniskillen, the Boyne and Aughrim.
Wynn's Inniskilling Dragoons - Gazetted as the 5th Royal Irish Lancers. They later became the 16th/5th Queen's Royal Lancers. Fought at Enniskillen, the Boyne and Aughrim.
St. John's Regiment of Foot - Originally raised by Colonel Henry Baker. Fought at Dromore, during the retreat to Londonderry, the Boyne and Aughrim. Disbanded at the end of hostilities.
Cauldfield's Regiment of Foot - Originally raised by Reverend George Walker to defend Dungannon, but withdrew to the city of Londonderry and fought throughout the Great Siege. After the Great Siege the regiment was commanded by Colonel Robert White but in 1689 due to his death was taken over by Colonel John Cauldfield. In 1689 the eight Great Siege regiments were formed into four regiments because of their losses during the prolonged siege. All were eventually merged into one regiment -the 27th Foot - with recruits from the counties of Londonderry, Fermanagh, Tyrone and from Donegal until partition in 1922.
Mitchelburn's Regiment of Foot - originally Skeffington's. This regiment fought under Colonel John Mitchelburn thoughout the Great Siege Of Derry and at the Boyne. Mustered with Ginkel's army but was on garrison duty until the war's end when it was disbanded.
The Royal Irish Light Dragoons raised in 1693 from survivors of the Great Siege of Derry. Originally known as Conyngham's Dragoons. Served King William on the continent, later finding fame under Marlborough as 8th Kings Royal Irish Hussars. Later reformed as The Queens Royal Irish Hussars.
Gustavus Regiment of Foot - fought at Enniskillen, the Boyne and Aughrim but was disbanded after the war.
Loyd's Regiment of Foot - Fought at Enniskillen, the Boyne and Athlone. Did not fight at Aughrim as it was left behind as a garrison. Later disbanded.
Meath's Regiment - originally Forbe's had once been part of James's army but when Tyrconnell reorganised managed to keep one third of it's Protestant soldiers. It was sent to England and the Roman Catholic members were all dismissed and replaced by Irish Protestants. Schomberg brought the regiment back to Ireland where it was stationed in Belfast. It was gazetted as the 18th Foot and fought at the Boyne and Aughrim. It later became the senior Irish Regiment of the Line as the Royal Irish Regiment. Disbanded along with four other famous Irish regiments in 1922.
Back to Brixham